Author Topic: The Conjuring  (Read 2732 times)

Ruthie Pee

• Breakfast Princess
    • View Profile
The Conjuring
« on: August 11, 2013, 09:41:18 PM »
It was a fun little movie. There's nothing like seeing a movie with a theater full of really loud drunk people who flinch and scream at every little cheap spook. It was actually pretty creepy for a horror thriller that follows all the tropes of the genre (creepy little girls, creepy dolls, demons, birds flying into windows, etc).

Plus, the actor who played Zane on Degrassi was in it, and he was actually good.

shoes22

• BMO
  • Breakfast Princess
    • View Profile
Re: The Conjuring
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 10:46:46 AM »
Yeah, it was fun. I saw a pre-release screening of this and you're right, you could have gone down a checklist of horror movie cliches and marked off every one. I'd describe this movie as a cross between Insidious and Paranormal Activity. James Wan has proven himself to be a good horror director, and skilled at building creepy suspense. I'm interested to see how he does when he switches genres and does FF7.

The most off putting thing though was trying to pass this off as a by the books historical event, when it very clearly wasn't.

PoP

• BMO
  • Old Lady Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 10:18:45 AM »
Every horror movie tries to pass itself off as a "true story". 

shoes22

• BMO
  • Breakfast Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 04:03:04 PM »
Every horror movie tries to pass itself off as a "true story".

This one especially though, because all the characters in the movie were in fact real-life people.

Anyway I did see an even better horror film recently, You're Next. (I end up getting invites to a lot of advance screenings, so bear with me as I try not to spam the forum with a million threads.) It was your generic home invasion thriller (think Scream), with animal masks and all, until about halfway through. Then it turned awesome.

There were a lot of twists, weird humor, and unexpected surprises. For a movie as bloody as it was, it was surprisingly a lot of fun. Some parts in the second half played out like a sick version of Home Alone, and I enjoyed that the family was so dysfunctional that they kept arguing with each other over stupid things even as they were getting killed off one by one, like the siblings fighting about who was the fastest runner.

Ruthie Pee

• Breakfast Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 09:40:40 AM »
"Home invasion" is the only horror genre that genuinely scares me, I think. Ghosts and zombies and silly stuff are nothing compared to the terror that is Funny Games. I'll have to check out You're Next, whenever it gets a wider release.

shoes22

• BMO
  • Breakfast Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 10:51:53 PM »
"Home invasion" is the only horror genre that genuinely scares me, I think. Ghosts and zombies and silly stuff are nothing compared to the terror that is Funny Games. I'll have to check out You're Next, whenever it gets a wider release.

Good, you should see it then!! I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I think it gets wide released next week.

CarrieSpicoli

• Old Lady Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 03:01:04 PM »
I didn't tihnk this movie was anywhere near as suspenseful as people are making it out to be. Then again supernatural pseudo "true story" horror movies don't really scare me, most don't at all actually. But still how are people going to call this one of the scariest movies in years when not even one person dies?

I enjoyed Zane's character though. Took me forever to figure out who he was. Glad he's doing alright post-Degrassi
You don't deserve to be at camp!
Come join the party Matt!

Goodnight campers ;B

Angela is the bet horror movie killer ever.

PoP

• BMO
  • Old Lady Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 08:12:28 PM »
Did anyone see Annabelle? 

And You're Next was really good, shoes.

Pistachio

• Breakfast Princess
    • View Profile